Thursday 30 January 2020

TGI Friday's

Valley Park Road, Prestwich


As a youngster, TGI Friday’s was one of my favourite places to go for tea. With a buzzing atmosphere, balloons and delicious food, the kind of which we’d never eat at home, it was such a treat. This was back in the day when there wasn’t an abundance of American diners. Going out for a really nice burger and chips wasn’t the everyday ordinary. Outside of the fast food chains, there wasn’t a huge amount of quality Stateside food to be enjoyed.

Over the years, the portions became smaller and the quality declined. With the rise of ‘dirty’ treat restaurants in and around Manchester such as Solita – ‘home of the Big Manc’ – and Almost Famous, quite possibly the best burger joint in the North West, TGIs sadly struggled to compete. It turned into another run-of-the-mill chain, serving no-better-than-average conveyer-belt food.  

It had been several years since I last ate at a TGIs. Frankly, I wasn’t particularly interested in returning. I might have been persuaded to go in the week, as they do a set price menu from Monday to Thursday, where you can enjoy two courses from as little as £10.99. But pay a la carte prices? No thank you.

Last Friday, I met my friend for tea. Yes, TGI Fridays on a Friday! I’m not sure that’s ever happened before. I’ll admit, I was dubious. As soon as I walked in, the nostalgia hit me. It’s still got that atmosphere, the buzz, which I remember from childhood. The ‘every day is Friday’ kicked-back, chilled-out vibe.

It was full, but not too noisy, which I was pleased about, as I remember it could get quite rowdy back in the day.

The menu had changed quite a bit since my last visit. They’ve moved with the times, with plenty of vegetarian and vegan options. There’s a rather expensive Vegan Burger being advertised on the table – although quite how they can justify charging £15.99 for a product that doesn’t actually contain any meat is beyond me.

To start, I had the Lightly Spiced Shrimp – five moderately sized shrimps (prawns to the likes of me and you) Cajun battered with their tails intact. They were nestled, or should I say thrown, on a bed of limp lettuce that was slightly on the slimy side. The selling point was Friday’s ‘legendary’ Jack Daniels glaze which accompanied the shrimps and made for a sensationally tasty dip. 

Lightly Battered Shrimp
My friend, who ordered the Sesame Chicken Strips, her favourite appetiser, commented that on occasions when the restaurant isn’t so busy, they’re usually better presented. Now, TGI Friday’s isn’t exactly the home of haute cuisine and the starters are designed to be nothing more than a nibble to whet your appetite, so it’s not a major problem, but if the chefs do get sloppy the busier they become, it’s not acceptable.

For main course, I perused and pondered before falling back into my comfort blanket and ordering one of my old favourites. We all have that one favourite we know we’re safe with. Having consumed some top-notch burgers in and around Manchester, I just know if I ordered one at TGI Friday’s, the chances of me being disappointed are mighty high.

I had the Chicken Finger BLT: crispy chicken breast tenders with tomato, crispy bacon, lettuce and melted Monterey Jack cheese, served in a soft ciabatta. The chicken was succulent and the ciabatta was soft and not dry or chewy. It was just as enjoyable as I remember it being all those years ago. The accompanying honey mustard mayo added extra flavour. I lathered it on my sandwich before using the remainder to dip, making sure I’d mopped it all up. I upgraded my French fries to the sweet potato alternative for an extra £1.50 and it was worth it. 

Chicken Finger BLT
Presentation has improved since my last visit. Oval-shaped, branded plates have replaced the deep-dish, red-rimmed plates of old, and serving the fries wrapped up in a paper cone rather than thrown on the plate is a nice, neat touch. 

Inside the Chicken Finger BLT
I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed my visit to TGIs on Friday night. I arrived feeling very dubious but left feeling as though I’d fallen in love with the place all over again. Considering it was so busy, the service was fast and efficient. We’d eaten our starters and main courses within an hour and fifteen minutes.

My birthday may have been and gone, but the staff spotted a present from my friend lying in a gift bag on our table and asked if we were celebrating.

‘It’s a sort of belated birthday celebration’, I told them, ever so sheepishly. Fast forward an hour and, when we asked for the bill, I was presented with a balloon crown, a huddle of front-of-house staff singing their trademark birthday ditty and a complimentary piece of birthday cake. 

Birthday Cake
Years ago, they used to give you a piece of their famous Chocolate Fudge Fixation dessert. These days, it’s a pink and yellow vanilla sponge with icing, much more like traditional birthday cake, which I think is a better idea. So, if you’re celebrating a special occasion, be sure to let the team know.

Of course, TGIs isn’t strictly for Fridays. As their slogan says, ‘in here, it’s always Friday’. I’ll definitely be popping back for some midweek meals to see me through the dark, dreary winter nights.  

All menus are available online at:

No comments:

Post a Comment